Sunday, July 24, 2011

Do you know anything about Denmark??




Greetings once again. I had some time... So I went to Denmark.


So let me start by asking, Why don't we know anything about Denmark? ...If you do know something about Denmark, pardon my ignorance. It seems a small, happy country, that tries to be neutral like Switzerland, and has good industry, and makes the most of it's long summer days. Here are my impressions of the capital, Copenhagen.


Copenhagen is a large city, rather expensive with a very bike-friendly and pedestrian-friendly downtown. It's fun to wander around until sunset at 10:30pm, but I'm sure it's much different when it rains, or in winter when it's getting dark at 2pm.


One of the first things I saw after arriving in Denmark was "The Little Mermaid" statue, one of the most unimpressive, must-see sights of Europe I hear. People think it must be amazing or enormous to be so popular. Still, the cool part was that I sat down next to the mermaid at dusk and read the famous story by Hans Christian Anderson "The Little Mermaid." Yes, you can start singing now... "I wanna be where the people are... I wanna see, wanna see'em dancing..." Hans Christian Anderson is a permanent fixture here in Copenhagen with his own street and his grave near downtown. But then, the world does benefit from his book of fairy tales: "The Philosopher's Stone" and "The Ugly Duckling" are two more you may have heard of...


I went on a walking tour, put on by NewEuropeTours. They have young individuals in many European cities that give free tours each day on a tips basis. It was especially fun to find three other people to hang out with a bit that afternoon, so we had a bottle of wine on a small boat tour. Copenhagen is also famous for Carlsberg Beer and LEGO! Between the two, all men should have a good reason to thank the Danes. On the longest pedestrian street in the world (not that long actually, but Copenhagen seems to love records), called Stroget Street, I saw some break dancers and a guy making enormous bubbles with a big rope. Kids were making some too. I mean, kids other than myself.


I rode a city bike through Christiania, where the hippies were playing Backgammon and selling marijuana everywhere, smoking it too. I was unimpressed when I rode in, but fairly enthusiastic about it when I rode out ;) I guess the weirdos congregate somewhere in every city.


Danish kinda sounds like English spoken backward. Y'know, like you hiccup right in the middle of a word. Still, it would be nice to know how to speak it. "Skull" is the word for "Cheers!"


I heard that the metro system here is one of the nicest, so I subjected it to a critical evaluation. (If you've seen my Pontiac Sunfire, you'll know I settle for no transportation less than the best.) Besides slightly nicer cars and perhaps newer stations, I think the main difference is that it has elevators in many places, making the metro accessible to bicycles and strollers! It also gives stops a vaulted ceiling with a skylight at the top. That being said, there are many more families and stroller-borne kids downtown in the nation's capital than a person would expect, and I love seeing parents out and active with their young kids. (kudos, Rachel)


People-watching was fun, especially since the Danes seem a stereotypically beautiful people, meaning Blonde and fit. I wonder if Danes just love to jog or if there is an idealized image implied in society. Beautiful copper statues are all over the city, some of animals but many of naked women and men. It makes me wonder if people try to have a "perfect body" more when they are walking by naked statues every day...


There are a few things I can cross off my "to-do list" now: 1) On my way to Denmark, our train pulled onto the lower deck of a large ferry, and we got off to cross from Germany to Denmark, about 45 minutes. 2) I strolled around Malmo, Sweden. It's funny how you can cross a small line - in this case, a straight in the Baltic Sea - and the language, currency, and culture are different. Malmo is the size of Wichita, and even more kid friendly with lots of parks and playgrounds, and gave me a lovely walk. 3) Now have swam in the Baltic Sea! Today Charlotte told me the British refer to something frigid as "Baltic" and now I know why.


Tuesday morning I was trying to invite someone from the Hostel to join me on the tour, and instead arranged to meet a couple Australian girls that evening near Tivoli, the lights of which they wanted to see at sunset. After I met up with Sarah and Tamara, we found out through chatting that we are all Christians! As Sarah said, it was encouraging to all three of us. May our lives honor God, even while we travel Europe.


So, now you know something about Denmark! (Although you already know, Mr Downs. We'll share thoughts sometime) If you want to know more, look up the Dane WWII spy Tommy Sneum.

Thanx for Reading! Next update from the UK!


Seth Pro

No comments:

Post a Comment